View Single Post
Old July 4 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: William Shakespeare's Star Wars

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Anyone have this yet and like to share their opinions?
While I won't have a copy to call my own until next week, a preview copy has been floating around the office for about a month and I've read some, but not all, of it.

I think it's okay. The play is a mash of authentic Shakespearean lines (with a Star Wars gloss of names and places) and cod early-modern English -- or, rather, what the general public thinks early-modern English was like. I think William Henry Ireland's two forged Shakespeare plays (Vortigern and Rowena and Henry II) felt more authentically Shakespeare than what I read of Verily, A New Hope.

The presentation of the book, on the other hand, is fantastic. The woodcut artwork to dramatize familiar scenes is very effective.

It's a neat novelty, and if this were performed at a Shakespeare Festival I'd be interested in seeing it.

And Star Trek fans will forever wonder what the text was like in its original Klingon.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote