View Single Post
Old July 4 2013, 12:26 AM   #369
Ziz
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

Donny wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote:
In all these shots, Donny, on both the Examination Room side, and the Ward Room side, I'm feeling like it's a tiny bit dark--like we are in Sick Bay on the night shift. I might pop up the lighting a tiny bit--but I'm not really sure how this gets rendered in-game, so maybe the lighting is actually perfect. But my feeling as I sit and look at in on my monitor is that it's a little dark.
This is a very important topic. I have a tendency, in all my CG work, to keep lighting low and moody and full of shadows. When I first started making game environments 15 odd years ago, much of the user-made content being released suffered from poor, under-thought, over-bright, washed-out lighting. I offered the alternative to that and always strived to not have my work suffer from the same. Therefore, I chose to use moody, darker lighting in my game environments, and was applauded for it.

Sometimes, however, I overdo the dark moodiness, such as in the ward-room shots I posted above. For that reason, I definitely do need everyone to point it out when it may seem my work is looking too dark.
Two thoughts on this -

1) GSchnitzer and Donny most likely have different monitors and video cards and obviously different eyes (as do the rest of us who comment on lighting/coloring issues.) That in itself is going to result in the image looking brighter/darker/different tones to each person making the whole issue subjective to start with.

2) Re: Donny's focus on moody lighting - there's two reasons most CG; both video game and FX in films; look the way they do -
A) Inexperienced CG artists who haven't learned the art of subtlety
B) Egotistical CG artists who are trying to show off their work instead of making it look the way it's supposed to.

Forunately, Donny's aware of this and is trying to avoid making the same mistakes.