View Single Post
Old July 3 2013, 08:09 PM   #118
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Re: New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

I didn't binge watch the whole season. Me and my brother watched 5 episodes at a time over the span of three weeks.

The first 3 episodes were a little slow moving, possibly because I was getting used to the new format. Episode 4 is when the season started moving a little quicker and it held on to that pace for the remainder of the season.

One thing I've always loved about this show is that jokes are hidden everywhere. Whether it's visual jokes in the background or more subtle ones like the parmesan cheese/mustard meal that Gob, Tobias and almost Maeby eat. (It's a reference to Martin Mull!) And this season is FILLED with them. Blurring the word Google at every opportunity, the words on the Imagine Entertainment and Jerry Bruckheimer Productions describing their logos, both Lindsay and Maeby using the name Featherbottom as aliases. They just keep popping up everywhere.

I ended up liking the format a lot. It felt like I was watching a really long movie. I'm looking forward to rewatching the season so the earlier stuff makes more sense.

Right now, looking back, I'd have to say that Gob's episodes, Tobias's episodes and Maeby's episode are the standouts. I think I laughed the most at Gob's first episode, especially at the aforementioned parmesan cheese/mustard joke. I didn't even initially notice that Gob wasn't actually putting those condiments on anything. Once I saw him sprinkling the cheese onto the mustard in his hand I think I laughed for about 2 straight minutes. As he's eating it and complaining to Michael he says that his diet has been suffering or something like that and the way Michael looks down at Gob's concoction and nods like "Yeah, I can clearly see that" just about killed me.

My one big gripe about this season would have to be where they left Maeby's character by the end. I always thought she was underrated in the original seasons. I liked where they took Maeby with her job as a studio executive. She may not be very book smart, but she's very experienced at bullshitting. And I just hate where the season ended with her. I'm not sure how to make spoiler tags, but if you've watched the season you know what I'm talking about.

Other than that this season was great. A little different, but the humor is the same. I'm hoping that Mitch Hurwitz and company just ditch the movie idea and just do more seasons. This show just seems like it would suffer in that format.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote