View Single Post
Old July 3 2013, 03:31 PM   #33
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Roger Dean sues over movie Avatar

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
members of the Avatar production staff have said they were given copies of Dean's work to serve as inspiration for designing Pandora as well. That makes him like a de facto concept artist on the film, and thus deserves proper credit and compensation.
They were also given stuff for inspiration regarding spaceship design, prop design, wildlife and plant design.

I'm sure they didn't need to compensate NASA and all the wildlife photographers and painters whose pictures they used.

I'm also sure ILM didn't need to compensate all the architects around the world when they used their work as inspiration for all the buildings in Coruscant in Star Wars.

If we start compensating everyone when his work acted as inspiration, we're gonna have a bad time.

Do Orci, Lindelof & Co have to compensate Nicholas Meyer & Co because they were inspired by Spock's death scene to write their own one, and constantly re-use that "The needs of the many" speech and the "I have been and always shall be your friend" phrase, all taken from the script from TWOK? Harlan Ellison would be furious had he written the TWOK script.