View Single Post
Old July 3 2013, 02:34 PM   #138
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Pingfah wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Oh I fully understand, it's just that I was brought up with good manners and feel it is only right to give my attention to the person serving me.
But that has nothing to do with the cashier's need to pay attention to the customer, which is something they are paid to do. A cashier doesn't pay attention to a customer because they have good manners, they do it because that is their job. The equivalency you suggest does not exist.

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post

They're employed to provide a service, they're not serfs to be taken for granted.
This is hyperbole, taking a phonecall while you are also chucking things in a bag is not treating someone like a serf.
Hyperbole is feeling that folks who need to respond to that cell phone like Pavlov's dog should just have the thing nailed to their heads. Civility is not hyperbole, nor is enabling selfish and callow disregard of others something I care to support.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote