View Single Post
Old July 3 2013, 04:23 AM   #639
TheGoodNews
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

Stop one damn minute, it's your position that those poor suffering people in that youtube video are CHOOSING to live like that? That's insane, less than one minute into the video, a woman dressed in red admitted her family having no money makes her feel ashamed. Later she said "what I really need is to work, to have money."

These people are doing the best they can in a undesirable economic environment, offer any of those people a paying job and they would literally jump at it.

This is one of your examples of a "moneyless society?"

NOPE! I never said (nor implied) that this is what they had chosen. The IMF imposed this unfortunate situation on these people. NEVER ONCE DID I SAY THAT THE PEOPLE OF ARGENTINA CHOSE THIS. BUT LIKE THE FACTORY & WORK PLACE OCCUPATIONS IN ARGENTINA, IN THEIR DESPERATION THEY DID SHOW GOOD INITIATIVE IN CREATING THEIR OWN SUPPORT SYSTEM SINCE NEITHER THE STATE NOR CAPITAL WERE IN A READY POSITION TO HELP THEM. AND IT PROVED TO BE A FUNCTIONAL SYSTEM DURING AN ECONOMIC CRASH AND IT BROUGHT SOME RELIEF TO NEARLY A 100,000 ARGENTINEANS. IN THE VIDEO (AT 17:39) IT MENTIONS THAT THESE ECONOMIC CO-OPS WERE SO SUCCESSFUL IN ARGENTINA THAT THERE WAS HOPE OF INTRODUCING THEM TO OTHER PARTS OF SOUTH AMERICA. AND IT DOES MENTION AFTERWARDS THAT THESE CO-OPS WERE NEVER INTENDED TO BE THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION TO THEIR ECONOMIC WOES. TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AND SEE.

A society is a collection of individuals interacting with each other in a cohesive manner. It could be very large like China or India or very small like the Skull & Bones Society (which is anything but moneyless) and which has at any given time not more than a few hundred living individuals total. Christiania in Denmark is a separate society within Danish society that has about eight hundred members. Give or take. They have their own flag and currency.

TheGoodNews is offline   Reply With Quote