View Single Post
Old July 2 2013, 08:27 PM   #352
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
The only thing I might do differently is to swap out that new blinky computer display you've added and replace it with the display of the antique surgical tools from "Space Seed." (I realize that it probably actually lived where that third bed now is, but I think more people will be saying "Ooo, lets look at all those surgical inststruments" more than they will be saying "Ooooo, let's look at yet another blinky computer display."
Frankly, I never understood the practical purpose of the antique surgical tools in "Space Seed". Reverse psychology? ("Hey, if you think you got pain, imagine the pain those tools would have inflicted on you a couple of centuries ago!"), McCoy's subtle sadism to scare this patients with ancient knifes (or tridents)?

For one, I think it's a very good thing he relocated his display of horrors onto the wall of the waiting booth in his office (apparently someone told him it's a better place ).

Second, this is the diagnostic display which shows additional biometric functions the medical monitor does not. McCoy took readings from this kind of panel in "The Corbomite Maneuver" and "Charlie X". You may argue that it only gets used when someone is doing "push-ups" on the exercise table (not there in the bedroom), but IMHO it's a better choice than those tools of horror. Alternately a nice Mike Minor painting with beautiful alien landscapes or a viewscreen (so you don't miss theatre performances aboard the ship and stuff like that) would seem to be suitable candidates.

@ Donny

Clever idea to put the Season One intercom speaker onto the doorframe. We never saw this doorframe part in Season Three.

Of course, I have to wonder where this yellow back door is supposed to led us. If I'm not mistaken you illustrated the area in a same or similar fashion in your older TOS rendering approach.

Bob
I think the practical purpose of these set decorations was to provide Khan some weapons that were naively unattended in the 23rd century with which he could threaten McCoy. Beyond this actual practical purpose, McCoy is probably just a bit of a collector. I don't see the practical purpose, for that matter, of having a bunch of skulls scattered throughout Sick Bay--in the glass cabinet and, later, on the shelves of his office--or the books and brain model he has in his cabin. (Haven't they invented e-book readers in the 23rd century yet?) Actually, I think a lot of physicians collect and display old medical instrumentation--my father-in-law the nephrologist for example.

I don't think McCoy hid the antique display away post-Khan. But he was probably smart enough to put them safely under unbreakable glass. I guess they might look kind of creepy to some. To me they just look like a bunch of medical instruments. But I don't know if I would put them in a tight booth right next to people who are waiting for some kind of medical service.

From "Space Seed:"

For those who are interested:

1. Simpson-Braun Obstetrical Forceps (Left Half)
2. Simpson-Braun Obstetrical Forceps (Right Half)
3. Hudson Brace (Cloward Brand)
4. Israel Retractor (Four Prongs, Blunt)
5. Mathieu Needle Holder
6. Welch-Allyn Otoscope
7. Langenbeck retractor 3/8" x 1 1/4" blade
8. Unknown (still researching--but I'll find it eventually)
9. Bistoury Knife
10. Scalpel with #23 Blade
11. Liston Amputation Knife

In the end, I think it makes more sense to show users of this video game something that's interesting and with which they are familiar, rather than just an Exercise Machine computer display when there is simply an identical display over in the room next door that they can look at--even if there is some justification that we can concoct to have one of these readouts in the Sixck Bay Ward Room without its associated Exercise Machine. I wouldn't be too concerned with how these antiques will make the fictional patients of the fictional Dr. McCoy's feel when they see these old instruments hanging on the walls of the fictional Sick Bay Ward Room.

Edit: I think patients probably watch all the numerous ship's theater performances on their bedside swing-arm monitors, rather than have to climb out of bed and hobble over to watch it on a monitor in the corner of the room. But maybe I'm overthinking it.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/

Last edited by GSchnitzer; July 2 2013 at 09:57 PM.
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote