View Single Post
Old July 2 2013, 02:29 PM   #40
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: Marines and Combat Personel?

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
one of the very few things that has ever been clearly stated on screen that (some) Trek fans simply refuse to accept.
When has it been stated that Starfleet isn't a military and which series did it apply to?
Enterprise: the distinction between "the military" and Starfleet, the former referring exclusively to the MACOs

STXI: Scotty taking issue with Starfleet performing an exclusively military mission.

TNG: Picard's exact words "Starfleet is not a military organization. Its purpose is exploration," followed by Riker's statement: "I think it's a waste of effort to test our combat skills. It's a minor province in the make-up of a starship captain.".

DS9 Kira says "I thought starfleet doesn't believe in warships?" to which Sisko replies "Desperate times breed desperate measures, Major."

Voyager is the only one I can't find a reference for, mainly because I detest Voyager and can't watch more than two episodes in week without becoming disoriented.
So basically the evidence indicates TNG-related shows/continuity and nuTrek have a non-military Starfleet while the TOS and the TOS Movies have a military Starfleet.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote