View Single Post
Old July 2 2013, 09:06 AM   #60
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
Re: Where are the toys?

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
I remember they tried to use the 'Build-A-Bridge' thing with figures from ST-Enterprise- get a figure with a console section, get the entire set and you have a 'full' bridge. Nice idea but stores only seemed to stock the same three figures and no way you could get a complete set unless you hunted online.
The first reboot toys also had the prop toys down scaled for tiny hands - they reminded me of the AMT Exploration Set model kit. If they had made them full scale and accurate like the DS replicas I think they would have sold a lot more, even at higher prices.
IMO, there were multiple problems with the Playmates Star Trek XI line--too many figures at different scales all at once, some customer dissatisfaction, and a general overestimation of how many people were going to buy Star Trek toys in general. In a way, the scarcity of Star Trek XII toys is a result of Trek just not being anywhere near the level of Star Wars, Transformers, and the various Marvel properties, whose toys you can find fairly easily at retail.
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote