View Single Post
Old July 1 2013, 07:25 PM   #35
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Marines and Combat Personel?

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
This also appears to be a difference between Starfleet and its neighbors: most spacefaring powers incorporate their space fleets under military jurisdiction, while the Federation -- for whatever reason -- does not.
Really? I can't think of any civilian organizations whose personnel are covered by a separate judicial system and tried by courts-martial.
The Japanese (and also Chinese) Coast Guard, to which I have already linked. Both can be tried before military tribunals under certain circumstances.

OTOH, German and Dutch soldiers are tried exclusively before civilian courts (often special assemblies of civilian courts that specialize in military matters), as are Indian soldiers accused of rape or murder of a civilian. Very few countries actually convene court-martials on an ad hoc basis; most have a permanent judicial body that handles those cases.

Interestingly, the Klingons -- arguably the most militaristic race apart from the Dominion -- do not convene court-martials, as they prefer to settle their disputes with sword fights. The Cardassians, on the other hand, try EVERYONE in military courts.

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
It's not up for speculation. Starfleet officers understand that definition and have said point blank that Starfleet does not fit that definition. I have no reason to disbelieve them.
It's not up for speculation? Many pages of text have been typed in these forums speculating on it.
What's generally speculated on is whether or not Starfleet meets OUR definition, and to what extent the 21st century definition is even applicable.

That it doesn't fit THEIR definition is just a matter of canon; it is, in fact, one of the very few things that has ever been clearly stated on screen that (some) Trek fans simply refuse to accept.

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; July 1 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote