View Single Post
Old July 1 2013, 12:17 AM   #78
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Stargate Universe Rewatch: Now with teacake

I don' think the planet necessarily exerted any influence over people, I think it really was the lure of how Paradise-like it appeared, and nobody really thought about how few there were, little to no chance of coupling, lose a few and you lose a large percentage of resources, and then the horrible cold winters that were promised. And on top of that, as you saay, they didn't even really think about all the possible terrible ramifications of their Alien benefactors. It is hard to buy that level of desperation after less than 4 months. It would be more believable if it was a ship-wide decision to want to stay, much better odds of survival with a large group. I would've liked it better if this desperation was shown after more time, or a dilemma for the whole shipload pushing for staying, but, it was better than many first half episodes
Oh yeah it was a good episode, despite the decision not really making huge sense. How many stayed in the end?

The thing with the aliens.. I think alien attacks would have been one of the biggest freak outs for the civilians on the ship and the idea that every time they drop out of FTL something horrible could be there would be wearing. But to choose to stay on a planet that is all about aliens is weird.

I bet they did feel hugely better from the sunshine, eating real food, working physically and sleeping well etc..

(Oh and I think any episode that doesn't involve earth visitation is automatically better.. we're getting more of a feel for how far away they are now.)

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne