View Single Post
Old June 30 2013, 07:53 PM   #582
yousirname
Commander

Re: Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

T'Girl wrote: View Post
yousirname wrote: View Post
I don't care if there's never been a moneyless state. There's never been a space vessel with FTL drive, either.
But one is a transportation system, really just a form of propulsion. People in the 24th century might go their entire lives without ever setting foot on one.
Not of the slightest relevance. But if it helps, other things there've never been include energy-to-matter conversion devices which tailor food, clothing etc to spec, devices for teleporting humans thousands of miles in seconds, anti-gravity devices, artificial gravity devices, etc etc etc.

I don't want to seem like I'm poisoning the well. But it's obvious that many of the people who are demanding to know 'how it could work' and wanting real-world examples of its having worked and so forth are doing so solely because the prospect contradicts their political sensibilities. Which just seems silly. It's only a TV show.

I feel pretty strongly, for example, that FTL travel is literally impossible and will never be achieved. I won't be demanding that someone build or show me a working warp drive before I accept that it exists in the show. Just as nobody needs proof vampires exist to accept that Buffy slays them.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote