View Single Post
Old June 30 2013, 04:32 PM   #96
eskyliz
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Definitely in my top two favorite episodes of all of Star Trek.

It has so much to say and to me it pretty much defines what Star Trek is. I mean think about it. If you take out all the characters and weapons and fancy gadgets and only leave behind the basic idea, what would you get? You'd get a morality and a philosophy that you could base your whole life on to be a better person.

To me (and many other people) Star Trek isn't just about being a great sci-fi show. It's got so many hidden meanings that deal with our problems today. And right now I'm not just talking DS9. One of the main reasons to create TOS in the first place was to address issues that were causing problems back in the sixties. Giving it a futuristic setting helped hide the real meaning and without that setting, Star Trek probably wouldn't have been aired.

Star Trek isn't famous for being just another sci-fi show. I mean think about how many sci-fi shows are out there and how many of them aren't famous. It's episodes like "Far Beyond the Stars" that make Star Trek different.

Star Trek has so much to say and if all you want to look at is the sci-fi aspect of it then fine. But maybe try looking at it from a different angle. It isn't just cool technology set in the future. It's so much more.
"That may be the most important thing to understand about humans. It is the unknown that defines our existence. We are constantly searching, not just for answers to our questions, but for new questions. We are explorers." - Captain Sisko
eskyliz is offline   Reply With Quote