View Single Post
Old June 30 2013, 10:23 AM   #338
serenitytrek1
Commander

Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

teacake wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
spock was never weird, homosexual, or not normal.
Being "not normal" is a major character component of Spock. He will always be a child of two worlds. He was tormented growing up because he was not a "normal" Vulcan. He's not human either, though he finds it easier to be on a human dominant ship, no doubt because he can be seen as truly Vulcan by them, something denied him at home. Yes that can all be called "weird" if a person is so inclined.

Spock being "not normal" and an outsider struggling to fit in is THE most compelling personality trait of the character, this is what enamored so many TOS fans with Spock and Star Trek. What is now generations of people who feel like outsiders have looked at Spock and seen a story they can relate to.

For the less nerdy audience it's still a familiar tale, akin to Peter Parker getting knocked about in high school and struggling to talk to girls.

As to the "homosexual".. modern fandom embraces preference ambiguity however the K/S subtext has never been so overt as to be in the face of a broader audience not looking for it. There is nothing to tone down, if that was the intention. But K/S has been there since the beginning, way back in the 60's. JJ is certainly aware of this and his films have played into it in a very satisfying way. Uhura being there has no effect on the often charged and affectionate relationship of Kirk and Spock.

Oh yeah, I agree but you missed my point. what I meant is that Spock is at least normal enough for humans to understand and Spock will always have romantic encounters with women.

it has nothing to do with slash. slash fiction has always existed since K/S, The latest slash obsession by people is Tony Stark/Bruce Banner aka Iron Man/Hulk. Nonetheless we all know that Tony Stark like Jim Kirk likes to sleep with every pretty girl that says hi to them.

The whole purpose of Slash fiction is to ask What If? but it still by no means make Kirk or Spock homosexual. Going by Carol giving us a background of Chapel in STiD, it is clear that Kirk has even lost count of how many women he has slept with.

Kirk and Spock will always care deeply for each other and be affectionate. However they will always have lustful attraction, sex and experience romantic love with women. Kirk and Spock's relationship with women will have no effect on their legendary friendship/ bromance/ relationship.

The Kirk and Spock relationship is the central and most important relationship in TREK. All their romantic partners either it is Uhura, Leia, Zarabeth, Chapel, T-Pring, Galia and Carol are just mini subplots and like a post once said...the girlfriends.

That's is all am saying.

I have no issue with slash , all fandoms from Marvel to lord of the rings, to star wars to harry potter all have huge slash fan base. harry/draco, Frodo/Sam, Tony/Bruce, Batman/Superman , Anakin/Obi Wan, Wolverine/Gambit but I do get a little worried when most female fan fiction writers start saying slash is canon and the characters are indeed homosexuals who have not yet realised it.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote