Old June 30 2013, 05:53 AM   #112
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

RandyS wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Last winter, when I was still using a cane and had an infusion pump slung over my shoulder, I decided to try on a cape. The saleswoman heard me tell my friend that I usually don't like loose, floppy clothes, but sleeves were uncomfortable over my PICC line, so a cape would be perfect for a while. So she starts telling me how great I look for someone who's sick, and how many capes she's sold to women who use wheelchairs, and btw what was wrong with me anyway.
It could be much worse, my friend. My godson has CP & is in a wheelchair [well, now its a Rascal scooter thing]. At the mall or movies, people will just stare. Mostly, it is because they just don't know what to say. Often, they are surprised that he speaks so well... they look at the body and assume he's retarded [or whatever the current PC term is].
As somebody who also has CP and uses a wheelchair (part time anyway). I can relate friend. I don't notice getting stared at all that much, but how some people react to me.....ugh. And I will NEVER understand the whole "speaks so well" nonsense. I've been complimented more than once on how well I express myself despite being disabled. As if they can't see that the CP affected my LEGS, not my MIND. But, it DOES perfectly demonstrate the conflicting nature of the current generations "values".

But, OT: I don't mind friendly cashiers, and don't consider them "creepy" (an over-used term that is now used to dismiss practically ANY form of human inter-action anymore) at all. They've never (that I can recall) said anything to me that I would find "creepy".
I understand what you mean, RandyS. I find the cashiers here to be friendly and helpful... with only rare exceptions. If the rare exceptions hate their job so much, perhaps they should find other employment. Most are only doing their job, trying to seem friendly and are decent people. I do not find them "creepy" for mentioning my name; it shows they care about doing their job well.

Perhaps, my outlook comes from living many years in a smaller community. Many of the people at grocery stores, WalMart, Lowe's, etc. have worked there for many years. When I come in to shop, they usually know what I may be after and offer to help. Our children went to school together. We saw each other at PTA meetings, school functions, community activities and more. Naturally, "chit-chat" will be more than "yes, sir" or "no, sir". The most common phrases I hear are "How's your mom doing?", "How are your grandchildren?" and "How is your health these days?" [I walk with a cane, so it is a relevant question.] Rather than "creepy", I find this interaction part of the normal interaction of caring human beings.

I have better things to do in life than spend time on those who are rude or disrespectful of others.

Last edited by Sector 7; June 30 2013 at 06:16 AM.
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote