View Single Post
Old June 30 2013, 03:33 AM   #92
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: ENT: A Choice of Futures by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!

Absolutely loved this book. I was interested as soon as Christopher has announced he was doing a book about the early days of the Federation and Starfleet. Knowing of his interest and study of history, I knew that he was well equipped to spin such a tale (That and he's a damn good writer!). I was a little nervous for two reasons:
  1. While I enjoyed Enterprise while it was on, I never saw all the episodes and hadn't watched/rewatched any in years. So I was afraid I may not be familiar enough with the characters involved.
  2. I haven't read any of the ENT novels.
I need not have worried. True to his word, this is a great stand-alone novel and a great starting place for people who may not be familiar with what has come before.

There are so many things I enjoyed about this book, its hard to list them all, but here are a few:
  • It was great to get a peek into the beginnings of the Federation and see those involved finding their way in this new world they have created for themselves. The picture Christopher paints is in the true spirit of IDIC, with everyone contributing their unique skills to the mix.
  • I am always amazed at Christopher's skills at finding obscure references and characters and spinning storylines out of them.
  • The reference to the Delta Triangle made me smile.
  • I liked the inclusion of Dax, which felt totally natural given Dax's known history.
  • With good doses of politics and confict between visions for the new Federation, it was good to get some exploration and examination of some "alien" cultures. It seems the Saurian situation will be followed up on in the sequel. I wonder of there are future plans for the Jovian Whales and the Vertians (and totally understand if Christopher can't comment).
  • I loved all the different threads in the novel, but found myself wanting more of Captain Reed and crew.
  • Loved the reveal of Sam/Stan's identity. Halfway through that scene it began to dawn on me who he might be and smiled wide when I saw I was correct.
Those are just off the top of my head. There were so many things to love in this book. I'm looking forward to the next installment
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote