View Single Post
Old June 30 2013, 12:14 AM   #41
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Family Friendly Countries.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I think, and I've thought this before, that a lot of the world doesn't really have a good grasp on just how large the US is.
I think, and I've thought this before, that a lot of the US doesn't really have a good grasp on just how large the world is.

I grasp that, too. I just think some people view the US as one big country where everything is the same. People unfamiliar with the states may not realize just how different things can be from one state to another, even though they're technically in the same country.
No, that's exactly the point.

A lot of countries have federal subdivisions, with different laws, customs, and traditions (from the UK to Brazil, Russia, India, etc). Hell, some even have different official languages (Canada, Belgium: just two examples). Even nominally unitary nations like France or China have wildly different communities living in the same country. The US is not alone, or even peculiar, in this: it's not the largest, the most populous, or even the most diverse federal country in the world.

Generally speaking, there is no more difference between California and Ohio than between Punjab and Kerala, Bavaria and Brandenburg, Sicily and Trentino.

That's the point I was trying to make.