View Single Post
Old June 29 2013, 12:17 AM   #106
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (ebook) review thread

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
I saw Christopher depicting Women's Suffrage on Talaria with widening freedoms rather than radical overthrow.
No, that's not it at all. See my comments in post #51. My intent was to create a situation that initially looked like our historic gender-equality struggles, but then turned out to be something different, because, guess what, they're aliens! The idea was that the females didn't really need suffrage, that they had traditionally held full power over certain aspects of the social order while males held authority over different ones, and it had been an effective balance of power/division of labor until the current male regime started horning in on traditional female responsibilities and disrupting the balance. As far as the females saw it, they already held the more important roles in society while the males squandered their time on frivolous power games and fighting. So each sex thought of itself as the dominant one and denigrated the other sex's responsibilities.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote