View Single Post
Old June 28 2013, 08:46 PM   #23
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Re: Future of the "Terminator" Franchise (Discussion, Rumors, Spoilers

Hugh Mann wrote: View Post
Hollywood still out of ideas? Why not endlessly reboot, remake, and redo the same old ideas instead of thinking of new ones? Terrible. Does anyone remember when you could go to the theatre and most movies there would be original?
Yeah, 1903, that was a great year. Then the first remake of The Great Train Robbery came along a year later and screwed it all up. Hollywood's been on a downward spiral ever since. I mean, The Wizard of Oz, Ben-Hur, Frankenstein? All crap (and all based on earlier novels, no less, so they're doubly unoriginal!).

It's always amusing to me that those who call for a return to the nonexistent golden era of total originality from Hollywood are completely unaware that they're using one of the most hackneyed and tedious complaints imaginable, second only to anything that begins with "The younger generations..." and ends with "these days." in my opinion. This complaint gets brought up virtually every time there's a remake, reboot, or adaptation announced, so I know a lot of the people who say it are aware of the reaction they're going to get, but just enjoy doing it anyway. Or they start making up arbitrary standards for why certain remakes don't count when they don't prove your point, and then proceed to move the goalposts even further from there.

Physician, heal thyself of your unoriginality.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote