View Single Post
Old June 27 2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: is the stargate movie any good

The movie was awesome.

Critics don't like anything that isn't set in paris and full of sex and whining. Ignore them.

Those tweaks old Chris mentioned actually wiped some of the best concepts of the movie, most notably the enemy alien (changed from a humanoid glowing gray to an eel...sigh) and the operation of the Stargate. (I don't know why they thought it necessary to add LED lights to the chevrons for the series. The gate looked much cooler as a big, enigmatic stone thingie.) The scope also got reduced (Abydos went from being on the other side of the known universe to another part of this galaxy.)

The original movie is one of my favorite films, and is the main reason i tolerate Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich. It works just fine as a stand alone film, which is why I consider the series more of a reboot than a continuation. It is not too long, and given that it's a sci-fi exploration film it doesn't need huge amounts of action.

And any film with this classic Kurt Russell scene must be watched:

-Admiral James Greer