View Single Post
Old June 27 2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: The Other Comic Thread

Great idea. I thought about starting a thread like this. Since I got back into DC with The New 52, I got into a few more titles as well. The ones I get regularly are…

Battlestar Galactica
Miss Fury
Star Trek
The Shadow

Battlestar is based on the old show. It's got some good hooks that suggest that it might become something more but if it doesn't, I may drop it. I just picked it up so that I'd have the first issue and because I was a little curious. And Star Trek gives me my episodic fix between movies.

Here's a repost from the DC thread about Miss Fury and another title that got one issue but hasn't gone to series yet…

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I started getting Dynamite's Miss Fury.

It's a period piece like The Shadow and the art is fantastic.

Why bring this up here? I'm surprised at how similar she is to Catwoman. Thief puts on cat outfit and eventually becomes a crime fighter. I wonder who plagiarized who. She's a fascinating character though, almost the female version of The Shadow. She's a wealthy socialite who's bored and steals because of it. She also travels and a trip to Africa transforms her and endows her with heightened abilities. She then returns to Manhattan a new person.

It's a good read. I hope they can use this premise to tell decent stories.
The next two issues of Miss Fury aren't the best because I'm not too keen on the current story, but I like the character, so I'll stick with it for now.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I also got around to reading the first issue of something I picked up last year... The Beauty #1.

It's about a modern world like our own, but where a sexually transitted disease has infected half the population. This "disease" however seems to have mostly positive effects. It causes the infected to become better looking and fitter, but with a slight fever (not enough to affect their day to day living though). Most people want it, and it's only one sexual encounter away. However, some groups out there see it as a danger and lash out with terrorist attacks. One day, a woman dies on the subway due to internal combustion. It's thought to be another terrorist attack on the Beauty and its carriers, but it seems that she died of "natural" causes. Could the Beauty be responsible? Our team of cops, which includes an attractive young woman who has been infected, are on the case.

Top Cow put out this one issue as part of their Pilot Season. It could have been a one off issue and I read it thinking that it was, but found out that it got enough votes to make it to series. Read about the news here. And you can also read the entire first issue online here.
Still no word on when or even if any new issues will be coming out.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote