View Single Post
Old June 27 2013, 06:57 PM   #38
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Richard Matheson: RIP to a real legend

Mistral wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Mistral wrote: View Post
I've always found Hollywood's fascination with Phillip K Dick laughable, as Matheson has, IMO, contributed far more to filmed science fiction over his career. Whether it was the fantastic, such as What Dreams May Come, or the outright scary, like I Am Legend, Matheson put together a plethora of classic stories. I've enjoyed reading his work for decades. He will be missed.
Well, it's not as though Hollywood has exactly ignored Matheson's work: THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, DUEL, SOMEWHERE IN TIME, WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, STIR OF ECHOES, THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, THE BOX, REAL STEEL, THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, THE OMEGA MAN, I AM LEGEND, etc.
Greg, sorry, perhaps I was not clear. The suits in Hollywood seem to have a thing for PKD, despite Matheson's contributions. Anytime I read an article about scifi and Hollywood, PKD comes up. I used to get a perverse joy when I worked at Borders out of suggesting Matheson's work. No one ever seemed to know who he was-but they knew his work/movies. The look of wonder on their faces when I started listing some of the movies you wrote above was priceless.
I know how that goes. I've been doing the same for years! :