View Single Post
Old June 27 2013, 02:53 PM   #107
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

RandyS wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post

As somebody who also has CP and uses a wheelchair (part time anyway). I can relate friend. I don't notice getting stared at all that much, but how some people react to me.....ugh. And I will NEVER understand the whole "speaks so well" nonsense. I've been complimented more than once on how well I express myself despite being disabled. As if they can't see that the CP affected my LEGS, not my MIND. But, it DOES perfectly demonstrate the conflicting nature of the current generations "values".

But, OT: I don't mind friendly cashiers, and don't consider them "creepy" (an over-used term that is now used to dismiss practically ANY form of human inter-action anymore) at all. They've never (that I can recall) said anything to me that I would find "creepy".

As I already indicated, it was not the "friendliness" that I found creepy, it was the unsolicited comments on items I was purchasing, and the presumption of addressing me by my first name as if we were friends, when all she'd done is gotten my name from a computer.

YMMV on what you consider "friendly," but to me that's not friendliness.
I was relating my own experience and opinion. Not trying to discount yours.

ah, got it. I thought the reference to "creepy" was to suggest I was overreacting or something.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote