View Single Post
Old June 26 2013, 08:28 PM   #101
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Kirby wrote: View Post
I used to go to this restaurant for take out about once a week, and the guy at the counter would always call me by my first name multiple times per visit: "Hi Dave", "What can I get you Dave", "That'll be $7.50 Dave", "Here's your food Dave", "Have a good day, Dave".
I always paid cash, but since I was at work I had my work ID clipped to my belt loop and he saw it once and just capitalized on it. Extremely annoying.

yes, this is pretty similar to what I was getting at. It puts you in an awkward position, because if you say "I prefer that you address me as mr. or sir," you sound like a dick. You can try something like "I'm not used to customer service or business personnel addressing me by my first name," but it's still dickish.

Bottom line: it's up to an adult to determine how they prefer to be addressed, especially if it's not in a casual setting. I wouldn't address another adult by their first name in a non-casual setting unless they'd introduced themselves that way or indicated that's how they preferred to be addressed.

It's like that earlier post that brought up the "friendliness vs. politeness" thing.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote