View Single Post
Old June 26 2013, 09:17 AM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: dr who season 7 review

A few things bug me about this season. For one, it really should be two seasons, 7 and 8.

Season 7a:

While I enjoyed these episodes for what they were, my main problem with this season was the passage of time and all the stuff we didn't see. The marital problems between Amy and Rory that developed off screen were solved too easily for them to have even mattered. Though it did provide for some good dialogue and tension, it ultimately seemed like a waste of drama.

Likewise, in "A Town Called Mercy," the Doctor's character development also seemed to happen off screen. Amy confronts him, saying "This is what happens when you travel alone for too long." I feel it would have been a lot more effective if we had actually seen the Doctor traveling alone. He may not always be with Amy and Rory, but in the episode just before we saw him with several other companions, including the frickin Queen of Egypt. I would have loved to see an episode or two in between showing the Doctor truly alone so that we could see his development leading up to Amy saying that line.

Season 7b:

I basically spent this whole season wanting to like Clara. And while I think the actress did a great job, the character herself was just kind of blah. She had a few great moments, but I didn't really connect with her the way I have with other companions.

The mystery surrounding "The Impossible Girl" was pretty lame as well, only showing up when it needed to. You'd think the Doctor would have made a bigger effort to figure out just what was going on with her, but most of the time it seemed like he didn't even care.

That said, "The Name of the Doctor" was easily one of the best episodes of the entire series. I just hope that future Clara will be a little more exiting. Do we know if she's signed on for Season 8? Might be fun to see her interacting with a different Doctor.