View Single Post
Old June 25 2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Most Famous Movie Role

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
In your opinion for the following actors, which movie role is each most famous/well-known for?

A) Tom Hanks
Forrest Gump

B) Mel Gibson
It's probably Braveheart but I think he'll always be linked with Mad Max so that people can make (not unreasonable) Mad Mel jokes.

C) Arnold Schwarzenegger
The Terminator

D) Sylvester Stallone
Probably Rocky, but it's about 51/49% between it and Rambo.

E) Bruce Willis
John McClane

F) Tom Cruise
I would say Top Gun but if people actually had to name the character as oppose to the title, then it'd be Jerry Maguire (though he's both character and title).

G) Will Smith
Probably Men in Black but another tough call.

H) Robert Patrick (other than the T-1000)
I suspect most casual movie and tv fans won't be able to place him in any other roles; for genre fans, it's probably Doggett in the X-Files or else his True Blood character. Personally, I remember him from the Sopranos.

I) Harrison Ford
Despite the popularity of Star Wars, I think Harrison is arguably better known for Indiana Jones, given that he played the lead and got top billing and given that the character's name was in 3 of the 4 movie titles (4, if you count the revisionist title Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark). Plus he's played Indy 3 times since his part in the SW saga ended. Whether or not any reprisal of Han changes his status remains to be seen

J) Richard Gere
Probably a tie between Pretty Woman and an Officer and a Gentleman, which is a shame, as his work in American Gigolo and Breathless is more interesting (ditto Internal Affairs). Actually, I'd plump for Officer... as Pretty Woman is arguably better known for making Julia a star.

K) Robin Williams
It's been so long since he had a decent role that it's hard to say, but despite his Oscar noms for Dead Poets' Society and Good Morning Vietnam, I'd say it's probably Mrs Doubtfire.

L) Robert DeNiro
If impersonations are anything to go by then it's Taxi Driver.

M) Jim Carrey
Another hard one to call but despite his serious roles and the acclaim for the likes of Eternal Sunshine or Man on the Moon, he is often referred to as 'Dumb and Dumber star Jim' or 'Ace Ventura star Jim.'

N) Samuel Jackson
Probably Pulp Fiction, though genre fans will think of Mace Windu or Nick Fury first.

O) Jack Nicholson
Either The Shining or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, with the Joker following behind.

P) Morgan Freeman
Red in Shawshank Redemption.

Q) Danny Glover
Murtagh in Lethal Weapon

R) Joe Pesci
I would say his Goodfellas role just about nudges out his Leo Getz, probably on account of the iconic 'funny how?' scene.

S) Eddie Murphy
Beverly Hills Cop, though to younger audiences, he'll always be Donkey!

Bonus Question: Which of the 3 actors above are most famous for their overall work/roles?
Hanks, Ford and Cruise.