View Single Post
Old June 25 2013, 02:47 PM   #94
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Generations was...

Stoo wrote: View Post
I suppose the Nexus presents a pacing issue? We're late in the film, closing on the climax but throwing Picard into a comfortable christmas dinner and Kirk ino a nice morning doing chores. I'd agree playing up the heart-wrenching side of Picard's decision to leave, might have helped.
Yeah, pretty much. It is much easier said than done though. Sometimes you just don't see these things until you're watching it in context on the screen, so you can't really be too hard on Braga and Moore.

Stoo wrote: View Post
Have to admit I didn't like the Data story. It's goofy, he shortcuts his path to learning how to be human, and I don't really see how it fits with the wider themes of the movie.
I think the reason you feel that way is because it was resolved way too easily. Picard and Data having the stellar cartography talk should have been the beginning of data overcoming this new challenge, not the end.

I honestly feel that the levity and humor it provided to the action adventure story was good in theory, even if it wasn't my cup of tea. There were definitely people laughing in the movie theatre when it played, so it works better for some.

umichigan wrote: View Post
At first I thought, I have some opinions on Generations so why not weigh in. But after giving the posts a careful read I decided that this conversation evokes an image we'd all rather wasn't so true.
I can see William Shatner on SNL telling everyone to "get out of your parent's basement once in awhile!" ...or words to that effect.
Remember, it is better to remain silent and be suspected an idiot, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. I leave with the letters that have allowed civilization to persist, IMHO.

Well, I'd say don't feel so self-conscious about it, we're just having some fun talking about a 20 year movie! I know I won't think any less of you if you're critique is that people change their clothes during the movie or that Data's emotion chip is bigger than the last time we saw it... even if I don't agree with it.
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote