View Single Post
Old June 25 2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Silversmok3
Commander

Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

StarMan wrote: View Post
I'm always sheepish to admit that I love a well-choreographed space battle in Star Trek. I have been shot down by the more devoted fan-type who insists Star Trek is about something more noble than wanton spectacle. Well, fine then; I love the deep and meaningful stuff as well. However, I just have this thing for awesome fucking space battles and - goddammit - why were they not in STiD?

The scenes we got seemed so brief - my appetite had been whet but we never got to the main course. I'm curious to know if I'm alone in this estimation, is all...
Seems you're alone in this regard.

Rest assured,I like a drawn out space battle. But there's no context for it in STID. The Enterprise faces off against a ship which completely outclasses it in every respect. The fact that the Enterprise lasted as long as it did was a miracle.

When Ship A has ten times the firepower as Ship B, there's no plausible way to write a script calling for a long space battle between the two. The audience would be logically thinking "why doesn't Ship A just blast Ship B out of the stars?" A good example of how bad that is can be seen in Generations. Anyone casually versed in Trek tech knows a Galaxy class ship would utterly crush a Klingon Bird of Prey, shields or no. Yet that's not how it turned out on screen-But we got a long space fight out of it!