View Single Post
Old June 25 2013, 01:13 AM   #28
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Scotty and his military comment

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
And there's plenty of evidence that it ISN'T.
If you take the time to read the post you were quoting, you'll realise I also said that.

A standing military is a full-time professional battle force that devotes the overwhelming majority of its resources and energy into combat systems and missions and uses its surplus time/energy/equipment to help civilian projects on a case-by-case basis.
Well that's certainly one definition. With Starfleet it sure seems multidisciplinary, but they still are the 23rd-24th century equivalent of the military.

Starfleet does the exact opposite of this: they devote the majority of their resources and energy into scientific systems and missions and use the surplus time/energy/equipment to carry out combat missions on a case-by-case basis. It's paramilitary at best.
Wait, how do you know how much of their ressources they devote to all that ?

None of which are evidence that Starfleet is a military organization
So basically your counter to every element of my list is "nope" ? It's irrelevant because.

As I said above, it's like a militia composed entirely of scientists.
Entirely of scientists ? Is Uhura or Sulu or Chekov or Kirk or Riker or Worf or Yar or Rand or Sisko or O'Brien or Paris or Scotty or Archer or Mayweather or Sato or Reed a scientist ?

The fact that the federation needs a military branch against its military enemies.
Possibly. It probably isn't Starfleet, though.
Did you just argue that the Federation has a military branch to combat its enemies, by which it is surrounded by almost all sides it seems, but that despite the battles we saw in every iteration of Trek so far fought by Starfleet, that we somehow never saw these guys or their ships ?