View Single Post
Old June 24 2013, 11:13 PM   #137
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Re: Falling Skies - season 3

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
In Risk Australia (,New Guinea and Indonesia) is a continent called "Australia".

In Real Life, Australia is a continent called "Australia." Has been for years.

You get additional troop bonus reinforcements at the beginning of each turn if you successfully hold a continent. (I just counted.) Europe has 6 boarders to Green land, Africa and Russia. You'd basically need landmines to defend this place properly. Australia might be bottled in, but on the other hand AUSTRALIA IS BOTTLED IN. One way in or out. Siam. It's also half the size. Which means it's easy to completely conquer in your first turn if you have a foothold and then easy to hold so that you get your reinforcement bonus unless someone chooses to stick 10 horses in Siam, but the reinforcement bonus is 2/5ths the size of Europe so why bother unless you're being a prick and talking smack... And really if you can't talk smack while playing Risk, what's the fucking point?
Agreed, so I'll leave Risk to you and stick with Monopoly.

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I didn't miss the point, I just don't believe it.

I'm expecting a twist of some sort, some revelation about the Volm's motives that hasn't been revealed yet. In a story like Falling Skies, I'd expect help to come from above, as the Volm did, but I wouldn't expect that help to be so completely humanitarian.

Maybe the Volm really are just out to free the species that the Espheni conquer. Until the show is over, though, I'll be awaiting a plot twist related to the Volm. The characters keep pointing out that no one but the Volm know anything about the "weapon" that is being built in Charleston. Why keep bringing it up if it's not more than it seems to be?

Weaver and Tom had a discussion about how Churchill and Roosevelt may not have wanted to work with Stalin against Hitler, but they had to do so in order to win the war. So are the writers dropping hints that the Volm may be more like Stalin than like Roosevelt (assuming humans are equivalent to Great Britain - beleaguered but fighting valiantly but still needing help)? Will humans end up under the thumb of a Stalin-like dictator from the Volm?

ETA - President Hathaway asked why the Volm were fighting the Espheni, but Cochise merely answered with the reason he was fighting. Basically sidestepping the question by giving his personal motive, but not his people's motive.

I'm with you on this one.

Cochise told a great, schmaltzy, romantic story about fighting this war that could - and should, if this show doesn't want to get boring - be revealed as complete elephant snot in some future moment of truth. Too good to be true usually is too good to be true, and that's the alarm bell ringing for me as far as the Volm are concerned.

-Tom Clancy
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote