View Single Post
Old June 24 2013, 10:56 PM   #136
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Re: So I'm Watching "Chains of Command"

R. Star wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
The issue is with Riker then. Feeling the need to mind read is an error in Riker's mindset as Jellico clearly stated what he wanted done in each instance. That is of no fault to the CO of the ship. He laid out clear concise instructions to his XO. There should not be any need for mind reading. Riker chose to complicate things with his hemming and hawing over a new CO's orders. I bet it annoyed Riker when Data went on behaving as if the orders weren't that big of a deal and found ways to get them accomplished.
I've watched the episodes any number of times. There never was any doubt in my mind -what- Jellico wanted done at any given time. Riker seemed to want to argue about -why- Jellico wanted it done. Hence the mind reading excuse maybe. But a captain doesn't have to explain his orders, it's a luxury he may choose to indulge if he so chooses. Hence Jellico's annoyance at the officer who's supposed to be the primary conduit to carry out his orders.

I've no doubt that Data's behavior annoyed Riker. That doesn't justify it just because his name is in the credits though. Data was finding ways to.. get it done, rather than trying to find a reason why it shouldn't be. Which likely played into Jellico's decision to promote him after Riker blew up over not rescuing Picard. Which Jellico was right, would've played right into the Cardassians hands.
Let's be fair here. Riker still probably doesn't have all the details, and the ones he does have he hasn't come to grips with. He's completely in the right to get upset over the fact that a Federation citizen, a Starfleet officer, and one of the most decorated officers in Stafleet is going to be given up for political reasons, immediately after SF sent him on an illegal, clandestine mission. And that's before we even consider that Picard is Will's friend.

And also, Jellico is being dismissive about the whole thing, pulling that "I don't have time nor the patience to explain myself to you Will Riker" attitude on him that he's exhibited thus far.

1) Given what Will knows, which isn't a lot...Riker is completely in the right to say "Hold the **** up"

2) And right or not...come on...I think at that point most people here would have lost it. Rank be damned. Fire me then! Relieve me! I won't be a part of this.

But again, I want to state I don't think Jellico is the bad guy here. Shit happens. People are people. This is what happens when you run a bunch of hush-hush stuff. Communication gets fouled up...etc...etc..
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote