View Single Post
Old June 24 2013, 10:13 PM   #327
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Jefferies wrote: View Post
I wish they wouldn't out-source this work to all these no-name companies.
Well, Modern VideoFilm is not a no-name company. They've been around since 1985 and, in fact, they have a history with Trek:

http://www.mvfinc.com/credits/index.htm

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Yeah, the thing I've noticed in the Season 4 trailer is the lighting. Compositing and overall quality of the work looks better than HTV but the over lit look of some of the shots really makes that 4 foot model look terrible in HD. Modern Video really needed more guidance and time on the lighting.
Understand that some of that "over lit look" is original to the source and the intent of the VFX Supervisors like Dan Curry -- such as the bright, sun-lit Enterprise from "Half a Life." MVF can't go back in time and tell the lighting guys at Image G to turn down this light or that light, or put it over here instead of over there. They could artificially darken the layers in compositing sure, but their directive isn't to significantly diverge from the original intent.

I think as long as we don't get any geometric distortion or misaligned layers ala HTV, I think everything will be just fine.