View Single Post
Old June 24 2013, 09:05 PM   #628
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Winona Kirk is primarily a wife and mother in that she does nothing else on screen, Amanda is primarily a wife and mother
That's a stereotype now?

Nero mourns his absent wife.
I now realize you don't actually know what a "gender stereotype" is. This, after the "gender roles" thing, makes strike two.

Uhura's role in the first film was expanded primarily because of her relationship with Spock
Actually, it was expanded because of her relationship with KIRK. Indeed, the very first thing Kirk does when he wakes up on the Enterprise is run to Uhura and ask her about the Klingon distress signal. The fact is, Uhura winds up on bridge duty because of Kirk, not because of Spock.

NuTrek doesn't steer clear of traditional gender roles at all
And "traditional gender roles" and "gender stereotypes" are two COMPLETELY different things.

It's kinda like the difference between Jewish traditions and Jewish stereotypes. It's one thing to show a Jewish officer walking around the bridge with a yarmulke; it's another thing entirely to have that same officer sidle up to Uhura trying to sell her a diamond necklace.

I said ONLY homosexual relationships because heterosexual relationships are a gender stereotype.
And there's strike three.

I'm beginning to realize that you don't actually know anything about gender issues and have been basically talking out of your ass this entire time.