View Single Post
Old June 24 2013, 08:08 PM   #35
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Reading last chapter first

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ It would have to even if you're a fast reader. You've only got a finite amount of time to read so any time you spend rereading a book can't be spent towards reading a new book.

Not suggesting that you shouldn't reread (sounds like you have good reasons to), but it does in fact cut into your time to to read new books.
Everything cuts into my time to read. Sleeping, eating, showering, etc., are all non-reading time. It's unbearable! On the whole, I read more new books than I re-read old ones. In 2012, I read twenty new books, and re-read only two. I've got a stack of fifty or so unread books in my pile to get through before my wife will allow me to purchase new books for light reading; I figure I'll get through them in a couple of years.

Sometimes, when browsing in a bookstore, I'll pick up a book and read the last pages in front my wife, just because it perplexes her. I recently did it with the last Wheel of Time book, which I won't pick up until it's in paperback. Not only have I not read the last book of WoT yet, I've not read the two before it, either. So now I know how it ends, but have no real idea of how things ended up that way.

Basically, it's the journey, not the destination, that's important for me. Is a road trip less fun for knowing where you're going to end up?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote