View Single Post
Old June 24 2013, 05:27 PM   #63
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Microsoft planning complete reversal of DRM policy for Xbox One

The real problem for download only purchases vs. physical is that it directly competes with the old fashioned brick and mortar outlets, which last I heard still accounts for the lion's share of revenue for triple-A game releases. To date, few publishers are willing to undercut the likes of Gamestop and risk damaging what is still a reasonably profitable relationship and loosing most of their income if those shops decide to cease stocking their product.

Granted those same shops really take the piss by making *huge* profits by actively pushing trade-ins and used game sales, which makes it a bit of an abusive relationship when you think about it. Even more so since the publishers seem intent of passing this abuse along to their customers.

I must admit that I'm at a bit of a loss as to why they haven't partnered up with the likes of Amazon as an alternative to in store sales. I mean it would seem the logical compromise as their business model allows for lower price points and yet the customer still gets a physical product rather than a code for a digital service that may or may not evaporate a few years down the line.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote