View Single Post
Old June 24 2013, 04:49 PM   #1
SJK91
Ensign

The Last Star Trek Film You Watched

Greetings, all.

This is my first post into the world of Star Trek, so I'm pretty pumped. Just a little backstory: After walking out of Star Trek Into Darkness very pleased (to the dismay of some of you), it hit me that I had NEVER seen any older Star Trek film, Kirk nor Picard. Well, that is about to change.

Surprisingly, I wasn't able to find this thread anywhere on this site, so I dedicate it to the last star trek film you watched. Feel free to post, and be as detailed or concise as you want. Use this thread for first viewings and for lazy Sunday re-watches, too!

I have started my trek into the films of Star Trek, and have just recently completed.....

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (The Director's Edition)

I'll just get this one out of the way - yes, Star Trek: The Motion Picture has some SERIOUS pacing issues. It is far too long, and likely could have been cut by at least 20 minutes.

However...

I was surprised by how intellectual the film is. I found the plot with V'ger quite fascinating - so much so that it almost made up for the lack of forward action in the story. Because pacing aside, TMP's strongest trait is its plot. It takes a while for things to get moving during the entire course of the film, but when they are moving, the film is can actually be fairly strong. I read that the director, Robert Wise, wanted this film to be the "spiritual successor" to 2001: A Space Odyssey. While TMP is obviously not as good as A Space Odyssey, I can appreciate the 2001 influence TMP has. And indeed, Star Trek: The Motion Picture does capture some of the tones of the Kubrick classic.

Some people scoff at the fact that TMP is pretty much a reunion film, but (with the exception of the 3 hour long introduction of the Enterprise) I thought the re-introductions of the characters were done well enough. I can already tell that Dr. "Bones" McCoy is going to be a favorite of mine. Then there is (in)famous Captain Kirk. William Shatner is an acquired taste, that is for sure. But his screen presence is fantastic, and I thought Shatner whips up a very respectable performance.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The excessive length can be incredibly tedious and should not be overlooked, but I found it to be the film's only significant flaw. (Albeit it is a fairly large one.) If you stick with the film and push your attention span to its limits, TMP contains a very interesting story.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Jerry Goldsmith's score is a big reason why some of the overly long special effects shots didn't bore me (as much as it would have). Goldsmith's score is both haunting and elegant, and it makes for one hell of a soundtrack. Certainly one of the best sci-fi scores I've ever heard.

Footnote: I understand that the Director's Edition of this film is better than the original theatrical version. I am almost unsure if I even want to watch the theatrical version now, as I did mostly enjoy this director's cut.

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition) (1979) - 7/10

Up next....

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Director's Edition)

A final footnote: If I should be posting this in another thread, I would not be offended if one of you moderators directed me to it! Much appreciated!

Last edited by SJK91; June 24 2013 at 09:03 PM.
SJK91 is offline   Reply With Quote