View Single Post
Old June 24 2013, 07:50 AM   #85
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Re: Generations was...

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Stoo wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
I have one issue with Generations; William Shatner agreed to the death of Captain Kirk. You do not kill Living Legends.
Why not?
Okay, clearly they can and did kill him but I'd rather they hadn't.

The death of Kirk was canonized onscreen so that is it, he is dead - period. That fact makes him unique among all TOS players, (congratulations ) We, thankfully, cannot say that about anyone else.

Even Scotty and McCoy, despite the death of the actors playing them are still opened ended characters because those characters never got killed and they [probably, hopefully] never will. They have, in a sense, achieved immortality.

I just wish the same could be said for Captain Kirk.
I tend to agree with this.

I think in a way, we like our fictional characters to have an air of immortality, so that there is always a chance they can show up later on.

On Screen deaths of beloved characters are simply copouts from the writers to elicit emotions only for the sake of emotions.

I personally hate tragic endings. I don't like watching movies that end tragic and depressing.

Generations ended horribly tragic. So did Nemesis.

Data finding his cat is a lame attempt at some levity after the completely unnecessary death of Kirk.

I remember I was about 16 when I saw the movie the first time. I saw it with my dad (huge TOS and Captain Kirk fan) and my brother (who was 12 at the time).

When Kirk died, my brother started crying, and my dad looked at me and said "What the fuck was that?"

I felt like I just got punched in the stomach, and I'm not even a huge Kirk fan!

So yeah, Rick Berman, Brannon Braga, Ron Moore, Paramount, and whoever else was involved in such cow shit of a story:

FUCK YOU! Fucking assholes!

But at least you lame pieces of shit finally got booted after you put the 2nd nail in the coffin of TNG with that lame Data death (Which WAS my favorite character! assholes!! )

I feel bad for William Shatner. He wanted a role in the new Trek films and JJ Abrams so far hasn't given him a chance.

I would.