Old June 24 2013, 04:27 AM   #606
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

No. She did that for Ben.
I'll have to watch it again, but let's just say that's the case. She still, as a captain, had to make a choice. And it was within her power to make that choice.
Kassidy was more of a sympathizer than an actual Maquis member, and her decision to turn herself in to face justice was entirely a factor of her not wanting to have to be a wanted fugitive and never being able to see Sisko again. Ultimately she's just a freighter pilot; she's the Malcolm Reynolds/Faye Valentine sort who can sneak onto the station every once in a while, pop out of Ben's closet at 2AM for a booty call and then slink away before the security teams get there. Apart from not having the stomach for any of that, there's the little fact that, apart from the criminally insane, Federation prisons are actually pretty damn comfortable.
Just a freighter pilot? It's like you are making an effort to reduce her somehow. She was a freighter captain, and unlike Malcolm (I don't know about Valentine) she was in charge of the ship she was on. So, it's not the same at all.

Then you go into using terms like "booty call." I think you are being trashy and demeaning in the way that you are choosing to describe their relationship. You act like she and Ben were teenagers trying not to get caught by their parents or something. They were two adults. And as if security was going to come knocking on the the door of the Captain and Commander of the Station to ask about his off-duty and private relationship behind closed doors. Lol. The head of security was too busy trying to get Kira to have an attitude over the captain having a girlfriend and then wife.

I don't know what kind of shows you like to watch, but adults do have relationships with each other that are loving, long-term, and far more than just "booty calls." Even how they met goes against that. Sisko's son liked her, meaning that he spent time with the woman and thought she would be a good match for his lonely father (he even said as much). I'm sorry if you cannot see that, but it's true for Kasidy and Ben, and it's true that people can and do fall in love, frankly, in general.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf

Last edited by Spock/Uhura Fan; June 24 2013 at 04:41 AM.