View Single Post
Old June 24 2013, 02:33 AM   #26
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

Re: Unused crossover ideas

Sran wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
^ Maybe the Federation was losing the war so badly because the bulk of their ships were century old models. Excelsior and Miranda class really?
Have you not heard of system upgrades? And who says those classes represented the bulk of the Federation fleet? What evidence do you have that your assertion is accurate?

AllStarEntprise wrote:
When you have Defiant, Galaxy, Sovereign, Intrepid, Akira and Prometheus class and how much durable and tactically superior those ships are. Whoever was making tactical/battle strategies at StarFleet needs to have their heads checked.
What does the type of ship have to do with specific battle strategies? Ships of a newer class may have superior capabilities, but said superiority has to do with improvements made to computer systems, weapons, and engines. None of those things in and of themselves have anything to do with establishing a tactical advantage.

--Sran
I feel like I am almost pointing out the obvious here, but I may as well just to keep everyone on the same page.

Everything up to and including the Galaxy base designs were found to be inferior to the Dominion. Thanks to Wolf 359 almost a decade earlier, the Federation was already well along to upgrading its aging fleet.

Essentially by the time the Dominion War came around, the Federation had already reformatted their shipyards to produce stronger ships so each Excelsior era ship that fell or was decommissioned during the Dominion war meant a new generation ship was replacing it.

Compared to the Klingons and the Romulans, the Federation were the biggests power in sheer numbers already and realistically only the combined fleets of the Klingons and the Romulans could match the Federation in size, but since the Federation seems to be the only group actively preparing for a war against the Borg, they probably jumped ahead greatly in technology compared to the Klingons and Romulans.

At the end of the Dominion War, really, all the Dominion did was gave the Federation a really good reason to put their new fleet into full production. I'm not sure how much the relaunch novels touched on this, but IMHO, that means the Federation should in theory be one the strongest powers in the Galaxy at this point since we have a decent idea whats in all four quadrants.