View Single Post
Old June 23 2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

Re: Virtual Tour : USS Enterprise (1701-D) Deck 1-4 (WIP)

So, let's start from Deck 1 and let's build the bridge.

This is a rough mash up. Still, took me a couple of days. I'll replace inferior objects once I've made better ones.

Square angles. Do you see them? Right, I don't see them either. And that's where the effort starts.
Usually I find it easier to build something from pictures, if there are square angles present. They'd guide me through scaling and proportion of the structure. This process would, then, even be more straightforward, if there were any measurements I could rely on.

But the TNG bridge consists of a tremendous amount of organic an irregular shapes. Round, organic objects mean a lot of polygons. And there are no reliable measurments for the structure. That's what I know outright. It means, I will need a lot of time to, not just, to get the geometry in the correct shape, but that I have to invest even more time to make the object as low polygonal as possible - without endangering the accuracy of the shape <- work work work. That's why the process of building the bridge will be slow.

I know I can solve my measurement and proportion problem with a lot of time and all the screencaps available at trekcore.com.
Each object has to be checked frequently against others - that is why I will build most of the bridges objects simultanously, while progressing at the whole bridge. This is necessary, to understand all the lines ( outlining, forms, twist, starts, ends, thickness ...) that appear on the sreencaps.
Some Rules:
-Reference-Rule : If looked at an object from different angles one can start to assume its shape
-Definition-Rule : The shape of one object only works in collaboration with all the others

And since the bridge contains a lot of (semi-)organic shapes, it will take even more time to alter the shape, the more polygons are involved. But I hope it to be accurate, in the end. And though a lot of the objects need to progress anyway, feel free to critizise, when you assume I wouldn't notice some detail that needs to be in it. I constantly coming back to an object and ask myself "why didn't I see that before"?

From her on I start to color objects in correlation to their progress. Green objects are very early in the process. Beige objects are further down the process. I'll try to make it the standard coloring in the future.

Ah, ^^ just one note: forgive me for my dramatic lighting from time to time. It actually helps me to detect a lot of the meshs' problems. For each mistake you see in the mesh, I already corrected 50 you don't see.

Last edited by Lee Enfield; June 23 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote