View Single Post
Old June 23 2013, 06:28 PM   #45
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Last winter, when I was still using a cane and had an infusion pump slung over my shoulder, I decided to try on a cape. The saleswoman heard me tell my friend that I usually don't like loose, floppy clothes, but sleeves were uncomfortable over my PICC line, so a cape would be perfect for a while. So she starts telling me how great I look for someone who's sick, and how many capes she's sold to women who use wheelchairs, and btw what was wrong with me anyway.
It could be much worse, my friend. My godson has CP & is in a wheelchair [well, now its a Rascal scooter thing]. At the mall or movies, people will just stare. Mostly, it is because they just don't know what to say. Often, they are surprised that he speaks so well... they look at the body and assume he's retarded [or whatever the current PC term is].

I commend your waitperson for, at least, trying to be conversational. She was probably trying to put you at ease. Whether or not it worked is your decision.
Oh, I know it could've been much worse. In fact, now that you've reminded me, even I encountered worse. I feel bad for the people who have to deal with that crap all their lives.

As for this particular salesperson, I heard her with other customers... It didn't seem to be a matter of trying to make conversation so much as being unable to not make non-stop babbling conversation.

B.J. wrote: View Post
If there are any companies with a policy to address their customers by name, I've never heard it.
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Like Locutus pointed out, I was required to look at the credit card and address the customer by name. Knowing that I found it annoying as a customer, I disliked doing it as the salesperson.
B.J., now you've heard of it. This was a major department store (same company that owns Macy's).
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote