View Single Post
Old June 23 2013, 09:37 AM   #32
Locutus of Bored
Too Many Secrets

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Young people these days are not trained in etiquette.

It is impolite to address elders by their first name unless they say it's ok.
Did I not tip you enough the last time you waited on my wife and me?
You don't know me, so you get a pass this time.

There has been a significant decline in politeness over the last couple of decades. If you're in the age group that falls into that, fine.

I hope you'll take the opportunity to learn from people who have been around longer than you have.
This is hilarious. You giving advice on politeness is like getting pet care tips from Michael Vick. You are without a doubt one of the most consistently rude posters on this board, and your arrogant posts never fail to astonish. This string of condescending comments is further proof of that. If I bought into the stupid theory about the alleged decline in politeness that's been going on for decades I would hypothesize that it began right about the time you were born.

You can make a case that saying someone's first name without being properly introduced is rude and presumptive, but it has fuck all to do with being an elder. Just because someone has lived longer than someone else doesn't make them a better person or more worthy of the respect you should give equally to everyone.

I do enjoy the opportunity to learn from those older than myself, because they have generally experienced more. On the flipside of that coin, that doesn't prevent them from being an asshole who is not worth listening to either. There are also plenty of young people who have lived fascinating lives and experienced some amazing things, so their input is not lesser by default. It depends on the person.

And what the fuck is this supposed to mean?

"You don't know me, so you get a pass this time."

Knock that shit off.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote