View Single Post
Old June 23 2013, 02:23 AM   #21
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7
Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Last winter, when I was still using a cane and had an infusion pump slung over my shoulder, I decided to try on a cape. The saleswoman heard me tell my friend that I usually don't like loose, floppy clothes, but sleeves were uncomfortable over my PICC line, so a cape would be perfect for a while. So she starts telling me how great I look for someone who's sick, and how many capes she's sold to women who use wheelchairs, and btw what was wrong with me anyway.
It could be much worse, my friend. My godson has CP & is in a wheelchair [well, now its a Rascal scooter thing]. At the mall or movies, people will just stare. Mostly, it is because they just don't know what to say. Often, they are surprised that he speaks so well... they look at the body and assume he's retarded [or whatever the current PC term is].

I commend your waitperson for, at least, trying to be conversational. She was probably trying to put you at ease. Whether or not it worked is your decision.