View Single Post
Old June 22 2013, 10:35 PM   #44
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Genesis Question

Timo wrote: View Post
If you're not making a comparison between the two, then why list the facts in sequence?
Sorry, I don't understand. (And I want to emphasize I honestly don't, no "condescending" or rhetorical tricks about it.) I wanted to list everybody who killed for Genesis, so that it could be demonstrated that David is not on that list. Leaving out Kirk would be a grave error, then (although I now notice I left out the Klingons the first time around). But what does "sequence" have to do with it?
My point is that you're not accurately representing the context of each person's actions. Yes, Khan killed for Genesis, but is it fair to say that Kirk did that? I don't think so. Kirk killed people aboard Reliant in self-defense. Reliant fired on Enterprise first, and Kirk ordered his ship to return fire. Nothing Kirk did was unprovoked in that situation. Had he not returned fire, Enterprise would have been destroyed, and Khan would have eventually escaped with the Genesis device in hand. Not a pleasant prospect for the UFP.

Later, Kruge violated Federation space by taking his BOP to Genesis to learn its secrets. He destroyed a Federation ship and held three Federation citizens hostage, killing one. He also fired on Enterprise (though the ship was itself at Genesis illegally) without provokation and then tired to capture the ship to steal classified information about Genesis (and whatever else he wanted). Kirk killed the Klingons in the boarding party by blowing up the ship.

One could argue that he didn't need to allow the Klingons to board the vessel and could have destroyed Enterprise beforehand, but he wasn't trying to get himself or his crew killed, and his own death would not have helped Spock or Saavik, who were still stranded on Genesis. And at the risk of sounding prespicuous, Kruge and his men should not have been in Federation space in the first place. None of their actions were sanctioned by the Klingon High Council, nor did they attempt to negotiate with either Esteban or Kirk for an exchange of information about Genesis upon arriving in orbit.

I don't condone what Kirk did, but I understand why he did it. What I don't understand is why Kruge did what he did. Yes, I'm aware of what he said about his men acting "to preserve their race," but I don't see how or why he would reach such a conclusion without obtaining more information. Genesis had potential as a weapon, yes, but potential is not a guarantee for an adverse outcome. Kruge's behavior caused more deaths than it avoided, all for a planet that destroyed itself within weeks of forming.

Context matters. It doesn't change the actions themselves, but it cannot be ignored when evaluating them.

--Sran