View Single Post
Old June 22 2013, 07:48 PM   #63
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Vintage FX: Star Trek vs Lost in Space

Christopher wrote: View Post

However, it should be noted that the garbage-matte halos were more subtle on the feature film screen.
I never really minded matt halos. If anything they could be described as force fields, static cling/dust halo's around objects.

If I were doing freshing up of the films to transfer, I might smooth out matt halos to a more regular shape--like a deflector shield barely visible that kept up with the ship as it moved.

It is pixelation that makes me want to tear my hair out.
So help me, I want somebody to combine blue-ray with one of those huge platter laser disks of old and do analog laserdiscs.

To me video quality seems to be going down in some respects with digital cameras.

Now I still have a tube television that I swear by--and yes I've heard folks low-rate vinyl lovers and our appreciation of hiss--or how it is a myth that you can only listen to CDs for so long, etc. Still, when movies went from film to videotape, I really didn't notice as many artifacts.

Film transfers to digital can lend an unusual motion to characters. And my local PBS station can't seem to get the aspect ratio right. At friends houses with widescreen TVs, the made for TV footage widens out to fill the screen (not set up right)

I love my old tube TV, so different blacks don't bother me like pixelation does
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote