Thread: Blu-Ray vs DVD
View Single Post
Old June 22 2013, 07:23 PM   #55
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Blu-Ray vs DVD

BillJ wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
I'm such an old codger though, I like owning something I can sit on a shelf and admire. Digital downloads are more convenient, but they aren't nearly as satisfying.
+1!

I'll always prefer the physical media - even though I take uncompressed rips for viewing on media players with TV box sets. I'd be OK with downloads/streaming if the quality was up to par with Blu-ray - which it most certainly isn't at this point.
I won't be surprised if we don't see remastered versions of the older Trek films until the next home video format comes around. 4K?
Yep, I think that's a distinct possibility. Personally, I think Ultra High Definition (UHD) at 4K will be the next popular "leap forward" for home video - certainly, it's just not happening for 3D here in the UK at the moment... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22886822 ...see the end of the article.

Paramount will almost certainly strike 4K masters for the catalogue Trek movies, it's just a case of when, and whether, they'll subsequently release 2K BD's from those masters to market.