View Single Post
Old June 22 2013, 09:01 AM   #519
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
That's the common sense sci fi that was horrifically absent from Prometheus. That movie had so much potential but it fell into the same trap as NuTrek (only more so) of wanting it's principle characters to be shoe-horned in wherever possible. It's heroine was performing ludicrous feats of acrobatics after major surgery and the only character with anything resembling common sense for most of the movie forgot to run sideways at the end David was amazing though.
This was the first mission to an alien planet, and Shaw was doing what she did because the machine that stitched her up was that good. Give me a break about how bad it was, they're explorers, for frack's sake.

Here's a review that destroys most of the bitching and whining about Prometheus: Death by a Thousand Nitpicks? Prometheus (2012) and the critical reception by John Kenneth Muir
I think the review covers and accepts most of my criticisms pretty well but I'd go slightly further on a couple of points. It isn't breathability of the atmosphere that is the issue, it's whether there is anything dangerous living in it so while one person recklessly taking off his helmet is fine, everybody following suit until he has been medically checked out just because he didn't drop dead immediately was very silly. They had no external lab, decontamination procedure or quarantine procedure set up to even check if any of the crew were sick or if their suits were carrying anything dangerous on them - at least it was Ash's agenda that bypassed quarantine in Alien. Considering how expensive the mission was their scientific method was just terrible. The scientist that gets lost is the one who has just mapped the complex and I'm sorry but no way can I accept their behaviour when faced with a creature that looks exactly like snake - a dangerous predator on Earth - that was truly ridiculous. I don't object to Shaw running around while in pain (although the amount does get silly), I object to her jumping, climbing, and fighting in melee.

It wasn't that the movie was bad, it was just that Alien is so good that people had high expectations and sloppy story elements led to a lot of disappointment. Visually it was stunning and David was incredible but I couldn't wait for the other stupid characters to die and if you don't feel for the characters, the movie will fail to work on a very important level. Die Hard had a lot of very silly moments but at least I was rooting for John. With a few simple tweaks and alterations to a dozen lines of dialogue, it could have been much better.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631