View Single Post
Old June 21 2013, 11:55 PM   #513
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

beamMe wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
These two posts of yours are so full of crap.

You really shouldn't lecture anyone about the supposed sexism you see in STID when you completely ignore the blatant sexism pictured in that scene in TMP.
Possibly - I think I just don't understand the nature of your comparison. I certainly wouldn't say it was 'blatant' compared to, say, Ilia's bath robe,
How the hell was that sexist?

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
because Scotty has a history of being better than any other crewman with transporters and Kirk is shown to be barging his way in on everybody's turf (including Scotty's) throughout the first half of the movie. It's consistent with the established skill sets and motivations of the characters.

Do you think it was sexist because Rand was emotional?
No. The character acted weak. Traditionally womanly. Nearly Damsel-in-distress-like.
Yes. Kirk pisses all over the place. But Decker, Scott, McCoy at least argued with him. She just took it and stepped back to let the man handle the situation.

None of the female characters in STID acted that way.
Well, Ilia could have remained in uniform rather than in a robe so short that she had to have her ears waxed. But the robe was one of the things on which they sold the movie - I had a lot of posters with Stephen Collins and Persis posing back in the seventies...

Scotty is a section chief and Decker was meant to be in command - Rand on the other hand is a non-commissioned officer. Kirk is an admiral and Scotty is her her department chief. I'm still not clear what it was you think she should have done instead. In fact, I don't like the way the junior crew sometimes talk back to Kirk in NuTrek. He's a dick but he's the captain - apart from Bones obviously, because that's his schtick and Scotty where Kirk tests his love of his ship.

I don't think Kirk or Scotty needed to be there to make the scene work but I've never viewed it as particularly sexist because they were. As I say, transporters have always been one of Scotty's things. Do you think the NuChekov scene was sexist too?

It is true that Rand was largely a damsel in distress character in TOS. I think making her more independent would be a good thing but she used to make the coffee - killing people on a transporter pad is definitely a step up!

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631

Last edited by Pauln6; June 22 2013 at 12:27 AM.