View Single Post
Old June 21 2013, 09:40 PM   #2333
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Cyrus wrote: View Post
For those dudes who are fascinated by the adjusted for inflation boxoffice numbers, it has now passed Wrath of Khan:

http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/...d=startrek.htm

Do you have the sense that I do, that doing the "adjusted numbers" thing in comparing box office is basically bullshit? By that I mean it misleads into the notion that we're then comparing apples to apples, but that's premised on the ridiculous proposition that all other variables are somehow equal or can be made equal.

IMAO there's actually no reasonable way to compare either the economic decisions or the taste of someone in, say, 1939 deciding to spend some change on The Wizard Of Oz to someone deciding in 2009 to drop twenty dollars to see Avatar in IMAX. It's always apples-to-oranges.
Yeah, I agree completely. There is no way to make apple-to-apple comparisons of movies from different eras, way too many variables. The best we can do is to say that both STID & TWOK were hit movies in the years they were released (e.g. in the top 10 movies of the year), but any direct comparison of boxoffice numbers (adjusted or not) is not that meaningful.

Would Gone With the Wind make $1.6 billion domestically if it was released today? It wouldn't even come close. But it made a lot of money when it was released, which was at a time that not only it didn't have too much movie competition or any home video competition, it didn't have any TV competition at all. Also as you say the taste of the moviegoers from different generations will not be the same.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote