View Single Post
Old June 19 2013, 10:07 PM   #67
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Have You Ever Changed Your Mind...

RandyS wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post

RandyS wrote: View Post
Also, as I got older, I found my beliefs turning away from liberalism and more conservitive. I'm now convinced that it's an age thing. I actually saw it happen to the adults in my life when I was growing up, but, naturally, being young, I didn't understand what I was seeing. But once it started happening to me, I understood it completely.
And of course, my story and many others show that the opposite is just as true. So it definitively isn't an "age thing", except for people who want to paint the opposite stance as childlike and foolish.
Rather than resort to the name calling that you did, I'll simply say, "whatever works", and leave it at that.
Dude, your post was condescending. Iguana's was benign. And he didn't call you any names -- you may want to try reading what he wrote again.

My grandmother also moved from conservative to liberal as she aged. She was raised very conservative, and, like many women of her era, was expected to just adopt the political stances of her husband rather than to think for herself. Her husband passed in 1983, though, and over the past thirty years my grandmother developed a great interest in politics and political history, and she formed very liberal views.

There is a myth that liberalism is for the young and naive and conservatism is for the older and wiser. However, I don't think there is any evidence that this is an actual trend.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote